Friday, September 30, 2011

1st funeral


This week my grandfather passed away. He lived a long healthy life (he was 94). In all reality he lived the kind of life that most people dream of living. He was married to the same women for over 60 years, worked at the same job for 25 years, a job he loved and retired from. He spent most days of his life doing what he loved. I often wish I really had his genes (my mom was adopted), as I can only hope and pray that my health stays with me as long as his stayed with him.

My grandfather was a great example of a gentlemen and at the funeral that was one of the most common words people used to describe him. Anther common word was "great friend". Even at the age he was when he passed, he manged to have a room filled with people come to bid him farewell. He had many friends and was involved in many things even up until the end of his life.

We took the girls to his funeral. This was a 1st for them. I prepared them a lot before we went, as much as I could. Nadia had a hard time. It kind of shocked me since she wasn't all that close to my grandfather, but I tend to think that it wouldn't have mattered whose funeral we were at. I think it was just the sadness in the room. It broke my heart to see her sobbing, but we made it through.

No comments: